Grandes veleros de la Marina Civil (3)

 Articulo completo:



The ‘Majestic Monarch’s Of Sail;’ The Amercian, Thomas W. Lawson & Her German Sister, The Preußen!


Thomas W. Lawson


The Thomas W. Lawson was a seven-masted, steel-hulled schooner originally planned for the Pacific trade, but then used primarily to haul coal and oil along the East Coast of the United States. Built in 1902, the ship holds the distinction of being the largest schooner and the largest pure sailing vessel, without an auxiliary engine ever built. Larger sailing vessels with auxiliary engines for propulsion were the French France II  (1911) and German R. C. Rickmers  (1906), both five-masted barques.

The Thomas W. Lawson was destroyed off the uninhabited island of Annet, in the Scilly Isles, in a storm on December 14, 1907, killing all but two of her 18 crew including the pilot who was already aboard ship.

Velero civil de 7 mástiles


Name:  Thomas W. Lawson

Owner: Coastwise Transportation Co. (John G. Crowley), Boston

Route:  US East coast coal trade; in 1907: transatlantic voyage to London

Ordered:  June 25, 1901

Builder:  Fore River Ship & Engine Building Co., Quincy, MA;

Naval architect: Bowdoin B. Crowninshield

Cost:  $248,000 construction, total costs with oil cargo in 1907: ~$400,000

Yard number: 110

Laid down: November, 1901

Launched: July 10, 1902

Christened: July 10, 1902

Completed:  August 1902

Maiden voyage: 

September 1902 via Philadelphia to Newport News, VA

Reinstated:  1906 as a tanker for oil in bulk

Homeport: Boston, MA

Fate: Sunk in a storm within the Isles of Scilly on Friday, December 13, 1907 with the loss of 17 men out of 19 including pilot

Status:  Wreck

Badge:  None; no figurehead


LArticulo completo:


New layer...