- Category: Marina de Recreo y Deportiva
- Published on Tuesday, 19 May 2015 02:07
- Written by Administrator2
- Hits: 393
Rig: Marconi Schooner
LOD: 38' 6"
Beam: 9' 6"
Sail Number: 10
Built / Launched: Harold and Tom Mason - Big Tancook Island, Nova Scotia
Launched: August 1935
Major Rebuild: 1963
Designer/ Builder: Harold Mason
Homeport: Heckman's Island, Nova Scotia / Lahave River Yacht Club
She was built with racing in mind. Sailed Chester, N.S. area and was used for day charters by Eustace Mason.
1943 Sold to Mr. Green of Hamilton Ont. And shipped there by rail.
1958 Sold to Dr Robert MacIntosh of Ottawa Ont.
1962 Sold to Harry Rand of Montreal. He commissioned Clarence Joudrey to sail to Oakland, N.S. En route she foundered on the Eastern Shore and run ashore there in 1963.
1963 Purchased by Thomas and Earl Mason, refloated and towed to Chester, N.S. and totally rebuilt during 1963-64. Raced first in NSSA races in 1964 and 1965. 1966 Sold to Mrs Mary Cavendish, Chester, N.S. who purchased her for her daughter to race but it was not to be.
1976 July Sold to Dr. Leslie Caslake and totally refitted by Thomas and Earl Mason, son and grandson of the originally designer and builder.
1989 Sold to Dr. Lorne Leahey the present owner.
As a member of the NSSA fleet “Amasonia” has sailed and raced in Nova Scotia waters continually since 1976. She has won on one or more occasions most of the sailing trophies of the NSSA and continues to be a keen competitor and a true joy to sail Presently she sails from Heckman’s Island and averages over fifty sailing outings per summer.